Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Stitchin' in the ditch


There's been a lot going on lately.... a lot.

The Bill Cunningham event was rad. So rad in fact that it is deserving of its own post. In the meantime here's everything else.

I was in a show in Sonoma last month at their art center which happened in a blink! I zipped my work out there, ran around Sacto like a chicken with its head cut off for about a month (as per my norm) and then zipped back to pick the work up.
Check out OMF touching stuff. I can't take this guy anywhere.



This piece was pretty intense. I'll never know if she actually gets cremated in the piece..... that's probably part of the intrigue I suppose....

I liked this cast iron dog at the Sonoma mission.
And this one as well. This I feel captures Buddy's expression when he was awoken by a 4:30am dogurt alarm clock commanding him to crap wherever possible instantly. There's been some sleepless nights as of late.

This is the creepiest thing in Sonoma. I'm a fan.

OMF bought me a shotgun for our 5th anniversary.


JK, actually, because 5 years is the wood anniversary he bought me two Nate Cordero pieces! Score!

In turn I made the old man a quilt! Which sounded like a sweet idea at the time I dreamt it up until I got into things and realized what a crazy amount of work a quilt is. Whoa dang!



There was the cutting, which included pieces of all kinds of sentimental stuff like the lining out of the coat he was wearing when we met (which he gave me to cut up I swear) and the sheet he took with him on his first trip to Europe.


Then the sewing of the patches.


The laying out... which in the interest of time my mom and I came up with a simplified design to ensure I'd get this bad boy delivered on time.


After assembly there's the quilting also sometimes known as STITCHIN' IN THE DITCH!!!


And wallah! Finished product complete with el dog-o!



For a few finishing touches I also included tags off of clothes of his that have fallen off over the years and other little odds and ends. Don't ask me why I keep this stuff. In the end it turned out pretty cool. Totally not bad for a first attempt and 100% not possible without the help of my ma!! Thanks ma!!!


5 comments:

Ol' Man Foster said...

<3

yolkie said...

That quilt is so sweet!

beckler said...

I can't believe OMF used an emoticon or whatever those things are called. He gets more modern all the time.

That quilt looks great! Now I know what I am saving everything I have ever bought for. I'll make a quilt out of it!

gee whz said...

Wow! Good work. I am scared of quilts.

beckler said...

new post!new post!