Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Between a Rock and a Hard Place


The activity on this blog has been poor as of late and with good reason. Over the past few months there have been two things ruling my mind, equally vying for my mental energy, both exceedingly draining topics.

After many long and trying attempts to solidify something in our current space Verge is being forced to relocate at the end of this month. That said this Saturday is our last 2nd Saturday in our current location so if you've long been planning on getting over to check us out step lively. The clock is ticking. In the mean time we have relocation plans but with most projects of this scope there is a lot up in the air currently. I'll keep you posted on the particulars as news comes. In the short term, we are finding a new home for our studio project which has been consuming body and mind for well over a month now. As addressed in my post from last week, establishing and more importantly funding vital art resources in this town is no small feat.

Concurrent to all this madness my pop met his second battle with throat cancer this past month and faced it with a tremendous amount of courage and strength. I really can't begin to express how proud of him I am. As this second go round transpired I reflected on what a struggle with cancer looks like. When you hear this cliche referenced in an article or on the news it sounds like this complete diversion as though nothing else happens once the "struggle" or "battle" comes knocking and you just fight, fight, fight till something gets resolved. Truth be told the struggle is long with stretches of "no news to report" in between bombshells about "metabolic upticks" and growths the oncologist wants to "keep his eye on." Over time the highs and lows leave you wondering what parts exactly to get really worked up about versus what is seemingly no big deal. In reality as opposed to some self-contained duke out session cancer is actually more of a long draining hurry up and wait sort of deal. As the whole thing progresses the afflicted and their loved ones try to maintain some normalcy which in itself can be a tiring process. It's not like everything stops which is both good and bad in some ways.

In that regard having this project in the Verge has been a saving grace. Not since the early days of Midmo have I been involved in something so all encompassing, however, in terms of a rollercoaster ride these past months at Verge have had their own extreme highs and lows. Both of these experiences together have about exceeded what I'm mentally capable of. As an aside my hats goes off to OMF for his support and patience.

With all that said I'm not sure how posting will go in the next little while. I'll do my best but I wouldn't expect much....

5 comments:

Ann Tracy said...

so sorry to hear about your dad... huge wishes for the speediest recovery for him <3

gee whz said...

Go Gene, fight off that crap!
Kick it's ass!

mt.st.mtn. said...

Chin up, girl! Your dad is lucky to have such a tireless supporter - even when you don't feel like one. Your observations about the "battle" against cancer are so true. Remaining patient and calm for ones parents is the toughest part of it. But, it's also a good part of it - getting to be there for them. Sending you good thoughts!

Jill said...

I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through Liv. All my best thoughts for your dad (and you!) during all this.

The current landscape is so tough for art. I'm so rooting for you guys to bring Verge back together.

Stay tough.

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.