Monday, January 11, 2010

Oh yea and this...

OMF and I rented the films of Kenneth Anger volume II last week and I can't stop watching "Scorpio Rising," Anger's 1964 short about east coast bikers. It's so oddly mesmerizing and beautiful. Also, listening to the popular music of the time which provides the sound track for the film has given me a new appreciation for songs I had tired of long ago. Tunes like Fools Rush In, and Blue Velvet suddenly sound fresh and dynamic. This film is like candy. Greasy, sexy, garish, dangerous, dirty, candy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Puce Moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRm3B4T5SkU

Scorpio Rising reminds me too much of a Depeche Mode video. Yes, it's unfair, since I should be saying DM videos remind me of KA films, but there you have it. I came of age under the hegemony of MTV

-knowcebo

Liv Moe said...

that's funny. i listened to a lot of DM in junior high and didn't make that leap at all.

i was actually struck on my 2nd watching that the david lynch connection wasn't immediate upon hearing "Blue Velvet" a few songs in. i was stoked that Anger made a film that i was so swept away by that it sort of jammed my cultural vocabulary.

Liv Moe said...

the homoeroticism in Kustom Kar Kommandos is insane and juicy too.

Ann Tracy said...

I think I went to High School with that guy.... not actually... but I do know the type! Film is very interesting...