Tuesday, January 19, 2010

New York!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I kind of can't believe how much I saw and got done in the two days I was in New York last week. It was a whirlwind tour for sure.

Beginning at the New Museum with Urs Fischer's, "Margeurite de Ponty" which was shall we say... a disappointment. In discussing the exhibition with colleagues afterwards the general consensus was that Fischer is a better artist. Though the installations were ambitious they lacked refinement, a detail none two surprising having read the Tomkins piece on the development of the exhibition last summer. The mirror boxes were beautiful, but the illusion of walking through a hallucinatory landscape was broken by luke warm execution, and the non-sequitur appearance of some droopy crutches in the corner. I was also scratching my head over the inclusion of Ashanti, a performer who hasn't been relevant since 2005. Worst of all the tongue wasn't working when I was there:( To close on a bright note, however, the cake was hella cool!

For a brief moment on this trip I thought I was gonna get my big shot at the tenement museum but in the end wasn't ready to commit to the 1 hour guided tour.
Instead I went to Schimmel's knish for a taste of heaven. This little wall hanging was super cute and an accurate representation of what the place looks like complete with Groucho and WC Fields hanging out inside.
Everybody loves Schimmel's... including Martha Stewart.
And Babs!
Those pickles were amazing.
After dinner #1 I killed time around the Bowery waiting for my host and made a trip to Ricky's NYC. I can thank Al Sobrante for my infatuation with Ricky's. Lookin' good, feelin' good!
I walked around snappin' pics for a bit waiting for my friend and noticed this awesome bone chair in an antique shop. I'm guessing the creepy staging has to be intentional. Either way the spooky head shadow in the background was great.
Dinner #2 was at a falafel place also in the Bowery where this baby wants you to know that the ATM is... outside.
Day two took me to PS1 for 1969 - featuring Stephen Kaltenbach! - and Leandro Erlich's swimming pool.
The pool was cool, though I was a little bummed to find myself underwhelmed by 1969. As a friend and supporter of Steve's I am of course biased and was delighted to see his work included in the show. In general I think I was expecting an epiphany in seeing this collection of artists shown together in a historical context but instead felt as though I was experiencing deja vu. This is perhaps due in part to seeing repackagings of these luminaries - Beuys, Frankenthaler, Smithson, Acconci - in multiple exhibitions over the years. In tracking the works of these artists I think it's unavoidable to experience them in context no matter the setting or at least it is for me. Although, a show like this is intended as a time capsule - no Kaltenbach pun intended - of sorts, not necessarily a mind blower. More than anything else I left the show feeling delighted that Steve's work is assuming it's rightful place in the history of that time.
As a PS1 aside walking on records is an interesting sensation in all the ways you would imagine. Somewhere across the US I could feel Tim Matranga shuddering.
My occasion for going to New York was Biggert's opening at White Columns!
The show looked great!

And got amazingly crowded.

Thurston Moore's, "Ecstatic Peace Poetry Journal #10" was in the main gallery and the Northampton Wools performed before the night was through.
Following the reception we had dinner in the west end where I saw this fantastic trash pile. After staying up until o'dark thirty I narrowly missed the JFK closure and flew home on about an hour of sleep.




1 comment:

Ann Tracy said...

sounds like the trip was wild and wonderful!!