Monday, July 27, 2009

Well if it isn't the old tampon toupee trick...

Yesterday, I started making a piece involving several toupees and hair pieces I have had hanging around the studio for the past year or better. Toupees are something in a thrift store I simply cannot pass up, a weakness I'm sure many can relate to. Even though I keep collecting them it's taken me awhile to figure out what to do with them and now I fear I may need a lot more than the eight or so in my studio. 

Last night after the need for toupees suggested itself I went to my trusted google to see what I could find in the way of a source for cheap toupees in large quantities and came up with this:


Brilliant! and disgusting... the sort of thing I almost wish I had thought of but not quite. I love that the project calls for 40 tampons, a pantyho, and a glue gun. 

Too sweet!

5 comments:

Jeff M. said...

Hey Liv,

I'm thinking about writing an essay to post up on the Sacramento Press website, and it is going to be something about photographic visions of Sacramento. I'm not very familiar with the fine art scene in Sacramento (I should be, because I love looking at art, but I've been a dummy about certain things)...anyway, the thing I want to ask you is this: is there some photographer that pops immediately into your head that I shouldn't overlook vis-a-vis this project of mine? I'm been spending a lot of time on Flickr, Tom Spaulding's blog and Michael Zwahlen's website (I can't get enough of MZ's over-saturated, commercial fantasies; they are kinda the Utopian phantasm of Sacramento as "world-class city") But I'm afraid that I'm going to miss someone really obvious or maybe obscure, and I'm hoping you can clue me in.

thanks,
jeff

Liv Moe said...

i think it depends on how you couch it. are you wanting to write about fine art photography or just photography about sacramento?

Jeff M. said...

Since I'm posting on sac press and don't have to worry about word count or a news angle, I'm looking to write something very general and open-ended, incorporating as many sources as I can: family photos, fine art, obsessive documentation. I suppose it could easily become a huge mess. But I feel I have something. My idea is that photography is a public art to begin with, which documents how we live now or, in the case of old photos, how we lived then. But the internet and sites like flickr have democratized photography even further, so there is this giant archive in which we can (maybe) see corresponding and contradictory visions of Sacramento. This is true of any city now, but I obviously chose SAc because I live here and the minimal requirement to publish on SAc Press is that the story be locally focused.

Anyway, I already feel like I'm wasting your time with my harebrained ideas, and I don't want to do that. I'll figure it out. Thanks for the response.

Jeff

Liv Moe said...

Here's a recommendation well worth checking out... I think. Richard is one of the artists who make up the Axis gallery collective:

http://www.hues.com/

Jeff M. said...

thanks, I'll check it out.