Sunday, July 26, 2009

A lazy girl's pisto

Man! It seems like I haven't written about food on this here blog in about forever, or food I've cooked at home anyway. There have been plenty of tales of meals I've eaten out which is fun but can get old pretty quick even for someone like me who loves to eat more than most things on earth. On a crazy side note I submitted my hours at work this week and discovered that I had worked 230 hours in 4 weeks. WTF!? I feel like a nut jobber. 
 
Anyhoo, as I sit here with homemade yoghurt doing its thing in my Lil' Oscar cooler, and a fresh batch of salsa settling in on the counter I'm reminded of a recipe I've had bumping around in my head and in my camera for the past few weeks. 

A pisto or pisto manchego is essentially just a ratatouille served with an egg on top and bread. Depending on how one makes it, it can be more or less time consuming.  Recently, I found myself making a variation on this dish when dining alone on a fairly regular basis. With all the beautiful veggies in season right now this dish is a fantastic way to clear out whatever's on its last legs. Best of all you can eat it straight out the pan.


Pisto 

1 zucchini chopped
Handful of oyster mushrooms chopped
Half an onion chopped
One small tomato chopped
One clove garlic minced
Half a red bell pepper chopped
One cup of spinach leaves
1/4 cup of mushroom or other kind of stock (you can adjust this depending on the juiciness of the tomato)
2 eggs
Handful of grated parmesan
Plenty of fresh ground pepper 
Salt
EVOO for cooking

On medium high heat add a couple of table spoons of olive oil, the onions, and garlic to your pan. Cook until the onions begin changing color and then toss in the remaining veggies and a solid pinch of pepper and salt to taste. Sautee until the veggies start getting some color. This all should take about 5 min or so and you want some brown bits to start building up in the bottom of the skillet. Add 1/2 of the stock and the spinach and continue cooking until the stock begins to reduce, about another 2 or 3 minutes. Once the stock reduces push the veggies out to the sides of skillet forming a ring and crack the two eggs into the center. Add the remaining stock to the veggies and put the lid on the pan. Cook until the eggs are done to your liking. I think I cooked mine for just under 3 minutes for a basted medium cooked yolk. 

Sprinkle the parmesan on the veggies and serve with buttered toast. The last time I made this I cooked the veggies with a minced jalapeno. Spicy and delicious.


Enjoy in front of a grumpy jealous dog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that okie back porch and suitcase of Miller kinda busts us out as the hillbillies we are. good thing you didn't show the three dead cars.

-omf

Liv Moe said...

i'm saving that for next week's post about a poor man's pork and beans.