Sunday, April 19, 2009

selfcontrol


I got a Facebook profile in February. It all started out innocently enough. I put off getting one for a long time because i just didn't see the value in adding another a time suck hole to my life beyond myspace. However, after multiple invites and needling I decided to join the flock. At first I was pleased to find a large number of my professional colleagues on there. Folks who would have NEVER had a myspace profile were suddenly on Facebook. My mentors from both undergrad, and grad, various museum directors, curators, and gallery owners, as well as journalists, etc., were all making daily updates and "poking" one another. Having this kind of regular contact with all aspects of my personal and professional life felt exhilirating and enjoyable at first. So much so that I allowed myself to loaf on there way longer than I needed to each day although initially it was kept to a reasonable minimum. Overtime, however, my visits to Facebook became more and more regular eventually replacing the gratuitous research and nerd out reading I normally do on a regular basis. Instead of relaxing with the writings of say Robert Storr, I was learning who my friend's rock star alter egos were. Who knew that so many of my friends both male and female were actually Patty Smith? Or that close to %90 percent of my Facebook friends are actually Swedish regardless of birth place, have delightful stripper names, and share birthdays with all manner of famous folk.

For some reason over the past four days or so my Facebook lingerings have become particularly excessive, in some cases I've pissed totally beautiful afternoons away whilst keeping up to date on what my friends are eating, watching, hearing, playing, you fill-in-the-blank.

New York artist Steve Lambert, developed some online software called selfcontrol designed to prevent users from accessing FB during certain times of day when you need to get shit done. When I first heard about it a few weeks ago I seriously pondered the idea. Fortunately, it seems as though the problem has worked itself out on its own. Don't get me wrong I'm certainly not going to stop using Facebook. When used properly it's a fantastic social networking tool and truth be told I enjoy it. After spending a weekend in the great outdoors remembering what people do with themselves in real time, however, the Facebook bloom is off the proverbial rose.

In the meantime I feel like I've been neglecting my blog which is poor, so here's to the spell being broken. Now it's off to read some Eagleton!

4 comments:

Jeff M. said...

I must be doing something wrong, because FB leaves me cold.

But yr post reminded me of something I've thought about before. If the internet was just a giant, amusing timesuck, you could take a "kill yr TV" attitude towards it in good conscience, but in reality it is both a giant, amusing timesuck and a unique and powerful tool. You can't in good conscience ignore it, if you want to participate in the contemporary world.

The last time I commented on yr blog it was about Guest of Cindy Sherman, and someone involved with the film saw the comment and emailed me to ask what theater they should try to book in the bay area.

I wasn't much help, but I still love the idea of the producers of a small film using the internet to find its potential audience.

I live in the burbs, and there is a good chance I never would have picked up a copy of the midtown monthly if I hadn't run across yr blog -- or maybe it was through heckasac, can't remember.

Anyway, enough sermonizing. You get my point, I hope.

Liv Moe said...

Point well taken! As for those filmakers.... you should tell them to hit up the Crest. Or give my contact info. Maybe I can arrange a screening somewhere in town. I wanna see that film!

MOBS said...

re: Guest of Cindy Sherman.

I have a screener on the way for MOBS.

Ann Tracy's said...

you're so right on sista!