Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sad story

Last night a homeless man was hit by a car at the corner of 21st and O Streets. The accident occurred a few moments after OMF, my family, and I exited Zelda's at about 9ish. When the accident happened we were standing right in front of the restaurant and from a half block away it sounded like two cars hitting. OMF and I didn't realize a pedestrian had been hit until we got in our truck and my sister called hysterical and told us to come to where they had parked. Their car was right near the accident.

When OMF and I arrived the man was lying in the intersection and there were a handful of folks milling around. Someone mentioned that they could hear the man breathing so OMF went and sat with him and talked to him until the paramedics came. I was on the phone with 911 and when the dispatcher asked for my location I realized I didn't know. The whole event was so startling that I lost track of where I was. After a foggy split second I was able to tell the dispatcher my cross streets and at that moment the paramedics arrived.

In order to examine him the paramedics had to cut off his coat and when they did a plume of down feathers burst out of the back of his jacket and settled in the small pool of blood on the asphalt. As they loaded his stretcher into the back of the ambulance I wondered if later in the evening or early the next morning someone might think that a bird had been struck there.

The police took statements from everyone and as we left we found out that the man who hit him was talking to police as we drove away. I'm glad the man stopped. He was sober and cooperative and naturally shook up.

Before I went to bed last night the police called for a final statement and said that as of that time the victim of the accident was still alive and at UCD med center. I seriously wonder what happened since then.

6 comments:

Jeff M. said...

I've had a similar experience. It's good to hear the man is still alive. He will probably make it.

Liv Moe said...

he died

HK said...

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that :(.

Anonymous said...

that was beautiful. you and your beautiful husband are true hero.

Anonymous said...

If you didn't post anonymously, you could edit your beautiful English.

-skpr

Jill said...

that is so absolutely horrific. I'm glad you two were there to be able to help.