Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Talking Centralia

Good lord am I hung over today. Last night while surrounded by friends, family, and out of town guests who were all teary eyed - myself included - at the news that Barack Obama would be our next president I decided to plunge headlong into drunkedness. I have the headache today to prove it. That undying, low-grade throbbing type of headache. Good times, none the less. I must say I totally got what I wanted last night which was to be surrounded by friends and strangers as the nation receives the best news it's had in eight years. Now on a local and state level I have some different opinions but that's a subject for another day. In the meantime I can hope that the numbnuts that got elected mayor will be indicted before he takes office... a girl can dream.

Anyhoo, my distraction regarding all things political in combination with playing catch up from my recent trip north has left me postless for the past few days. I've been itching to post about my rad trip to Seattle since Monday. It was truly one of the best vacations I've taken in years. So restful.

I scored some great books in Portland on the way up one of which I've been looking for, for the past six months. When I found it I was in search of another book that Powell's claimed to have in stock but it wasn't on the shelf where it was supposed to be which is kinda the problem with Powell's. The place is so flippin' huge that when something gets misshelved you're toast and thus my quest for Bourriaud continues...

Between Portland and Seattle we stopped in my new favorite small town....

beautiful Centralia, home of the styrofoam house:



In addition to foam there were various other elements incorporated into the mix like marquee letters...

and yoyos. I bet his neighbors love him! I would.





Before leaving Centralia our fiend LC up in Seattle directed us to the COUNTRY COUSIN the most delicious country diner on earth! If you find yourself heading to Seattle up the 5, do yourself a favor and hit this place no matter what. It is tasty, tasty, tasty. They make a sizable chunk of the menu items from scratch and they're all fantastic.

Queen Elizabeth greets you as you enter the parking lot. Helloooooo!

This photo speaks for itself.

Of the items sampled I think the country fried steak and the pot roast sandwich were the stars of the show. Don't get bamboozled by the yak burger though. It sounds kinda flashy and exotic but in actuality it's a drier blander version of a regular burger.

Sadly, the Sonics weren't as good as the Country Cousin. A year on the road has enabled them to shake the bugs out of their repertoire and punch things up a bit. There was a lot of lil' Steven... a lot. And a Warren Zevon cover that I could have done without. At the end when they were "rockin'" it with two drummers, lil' Steven and a bunch of noodly guitar solos I found myself thinking "less is more." The pre show party in the hotel across the street was pretty fun though as were MD's delightful brew offerings.

DH and the O'l Man got interviewed for a Sonics documentary which was pretty amusing too.

The next day Jaime and I cold kicked it in Seattle and it was too sweet!

World's Best Grandma! Check out the crocs!

Obama mania!!!

JC took me by this building that's slated for demolition and is currently an installation space. My jury is out on this piece as I seem to have a hard time distinguishing between quality and humor in some instances. Overall much of the work in the windows was just okay. Although, some of it wasn't translating super well with natural daylight streaming through.

That night we went to a Suspicions/Coconut Coolouts show in a garage in some ass part of Seattle that we got totally lost finding even with a Seattle native in the car.

The show was funny as shit.

At one point Mr. Lucas got up and did the Witch with the Coolout gang and I dare say it was better than the version we had heard the night before.

This, however, may have been the highlight of my night. So cute!

The house the show was at was pretty funny. There was this full bar that was designed to operate on a suggested donation basis which lasted for about an hour before people just started grabbing whole bottles for themselves. In the yard in front of the garage was a porta potty that left the surrounding area smelling like a slaughterhouse. At one point this woman was asking around for a cel phone so that she could see inside it to take a piss. She opened the phone took one step inside, gagged, stepped out, returned the phone to it's owner, and then went and peed in the bushes. As I understand it the thing hadn't been service since a pre Burning Man send off. Pew!

Finally as we drifted off to sleep that night we dreamt of what we would order at the Country Cousin the next morning on our way home.

Best trip ever!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can you say you have trouble distinguishing between quality and humor? Your last show included neither and you should really think about adopting the "less is more" attitude yourself. That couch piece was a scene from a nightmare.

Liv Moe said...

there was no couch....

Anonymous said...

Wait, you mean the couch piece titled 'Scene From a Nightmare'? it was awesome! So LIM (that's Less is More)

-omf

gee whz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Is that a baby Suspicion?

Also I deleted the last comment. No big whoop.

G

Liv Moe said...

It is the littlest Suspicion. Who knew that they made air traffic controller earphones for babies?