Wednesday, September 3, 2008

"go forth in love and peace — be kind to dogs — and vote Democratic."

My husband is a smart man. Although, such is the blessing and the curse of nerds.

Last night I spent a good amount of time checking out the hilarity that is Sarah Palin.

First there was this gem on Levi Johnston, Bristol's baby daddy...

which I stumbled on while looking at Huff Po and various other sites in search of RNC news. Ah, Levi such a Rhodes scholar. From the New York Post:
On his MySpace page, Johnston boasts, "I'm a f - - -in' redneck" who likes to snowboard and ride dirt bikes.

"But I live to play hockey. I like to go camping and hang out with the boys, do some fishing, shoot some s- - - and just f - - -in' chillin' I guess."

"Ya f - - - with me I'll kick [your] ass," he added.

He also claims to be "in a relationship," but states, "I don't want kids."

Johnston's not the only one who self identifies as a redneck:

"Palin Obtained a Business License for Marketing and Consulting, Saying that She Wanted To Line Up Her Ducks if She Chose to Pursue It. “Asked about the business registered under her name, Palin said, ‘Rouge Cou, it’s a classy way of saying redneck. It’s a French word, rouge is red, cou is neck. It’s for marketing and consulting, in case I wanted to go that route, I’d have my ducks all lined up and have a business license. I just was granted that business license. … I would like to, with some of the endeavors that I have going on right now, there comes a time when one desires to be paid for them!’” [Anchorage Daily News, 6/8/05]

I thoroughly enjoyed these pics of Johnston's sister(?) identified as Bristol getting her drink on via the FOX News site:

I bet the Sarah's stoked! This image is one of about 10 by the way most from different locations. PARTY!!!!!

Finally, there's Palin's affiliation with the Alaskan Independence Party which though she claims to not have had any direct connection to her husband was a member for 7 years. Wing nut fringe! Wing nut fringe! Wing nut fringe!

Now in reference to the quote which titles this post... after reviewing all this fun stuff OMF looked at me and said, "two words, Thomas Eagleton." Huh?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be Cou Rouge?

Better ask FFT.

Gbomb

Liv Moe said...

What I want to know is how the Pine Cove is gonna react to this.

Anonymous said...

I do want to say that Palin's family foibles have nothing to do with her ability/inability to lead. Teddy Roosevelt, one of the best presidents we ever had, famously said, "I can control my daughter or I can run the country but I can't possibly do both." I suspect that Palin would agree.

That said, that McCain considered her an appropriate choice for the VP speaks volumes about his decision-making abilities. Her extreme views on abortion, creationism in public education, etc.. are pretty frightening. That her hubby was a longtime member of a political party that advocated Alaska's secession from the US should also have raised flags at McCain HQ.

Given how little is known about Palin and how intense the scrutiny will get, her departing the ticket (a la Eagleton) would not be in any way surpising.

-omf

Anonymous said...

Yep, I looked it up. Cou Rouge is French for redneck. Rouge Cou is French for ignorant American (even though I guess, technically that is still Redneck. Touche, Palin!).

gbomb

PS: I hope she does exit. I am completely giddy about the idea of Mittens Romney getting picked for VP. Throw this one back, John!

Jeff M. said...

I go back and forth as to whether Palin will be a boon or bust for McCain. Right now, I'm leaning in the direction of slight boon.

In any case, I don't see any merit to the meme that she might drop out of the race like Eagleton. The controversies erupting around her will settle down soon, and she'll be biting Obama's ass with impunity. They won't dare hit her back.

I don't know exactly why McCain didn't have her vetted more thoroughly, but at the same time it is not as if he choose her name out of a hat. The name Palin has been floating in conservative circles for months, and on paper she is a nearly perfect choice for VP.

One thing is for sure, get used to listening to her nasally voice, because, win or lose, she is the future of the GOP. I would not be surprised if she were running against the incumbent, President Obama, in four years.

Liv Moe said...

Yeah, that's similar to some the mumblings I've heard about Palin's future too.

Anonymous said...

Depends on whether or not you believe that the religious right is the future of the GOP. There are those among the GOP who believe that appealing to that base will lead to the marginalization of the party and that going back to the core GOP issue- fiscal responsibility- will keep the party relevant in the 21st century.

I'm not sure what I believe. I find it hard to imagine that we as a country will get that much more ignorant... and yes, I'll state clearly that being anti-gay, anti-abortion and anti-evolution is ignorant leading toward asinine.

the dems have plenty of problems, but at this point the GOP is run by a group of individuals who are promoting failed ideas and hate-filled prejudices masquerading as values.

the Dems better win this one or it indicates that the US is in STEEP decline.

-omf

Anonymous said...

The fact of the matter with Sara Palin is that she comes with so much baggage after only a couple of weeks out of the gate that this speaks directly to the competence of the McCain campaign for choosing her. Further, regarding Mrs. Palin’s daughter, why would any mother cause her daughter to be held up to ridicule because of her own political ambitions? Family values indeed! If she doesn’t care about the potential damage and public humiliation that her own daughter must now endure because of her politcal ambition, why would she care about your kids? This is a woman that clearly has but one cause….Sara Palin… and the consequences to her family be damned.