Thursday, August 14, 2008

Way to own it

"(After all, reality is nothing other than the passing result of what we do together, as Marx put it.)" - Bourriaud

I'm still diggin' on the Bourriaud and am just about finished which is good as my discussion is this evening. Reading this in the context of everything else I've been doing and hearing in recent weeks has been interesting.

If, as Bourriaud paraphrases above, reality is simply the passing result of what we do together my current reality consists of a series of misunderstandings, misinterpretations, and knee jerks all revolving around different machinations of the same thread; i.e. who does what with whom about what. Who cares.

In following the ongoing cabal saga I was pleased to see the way Jackson owned Kevin Seconds' response to the True Love piece. Although in fairness Mr. Seconds said Jackson looked like a "fucking jerk," not that he in fact was a "fucking jerk." A subtle distinction.

Over and above the surface details of all of these recent dialogues one thing strikes me above all else. I don't envy anyone writing any level of criticism on our local community myself included - although I am spreading my wings the further out of grad school I get. Our local art and music scene is indeed close knit and the risk of offending someone is always high. I'm certainly not saying this should deter anyone but I do think it's why one doesn't see much criticism in our local rags.

Anyhoo, long story short, way to own it Jackson! If the "fucking jerk" is a mint mocha with cardamon what would a spicy jerk be I wonder...

3 comments:

Jeff M. said...

Jackson original column is built on the shaky ground of cognitive dissonance. First, he claims that True Love scene and MM "cabal" are so incestuous that they make outsiders feel uncomfortable. Although he only talks about his own discomfort, it is pretty clear he is acting as a stand-in for all outsiders.

Now I feel uncomfortable and alone at the rock shows I go to, but I always assumed that this was just me. Maybe Jackson shares my social phobias or maybe he is on to something. His claim is hard to prove.

But instead of just telling the truth as he sees it, Jackson immediately contradicts himself by saying that microscenes are awesome.

It's hard to criticize Jackson too much for doing this. I hate offending people that I know I'm going to run into again. Yet he should consider that his integrity is the only objective criterion upon which his readers can judge his criticism.

darin said...

I don't really see the contradiction. It's a great feeling to walk into a place and know almost everyone, have everyone saying howdy, etc.
And it's a lousy feeling to walk into a place like that where you don't know anybody at all.
That's just the way it goes.
Awesome or sucky, "microscenes" (okay, I officially hate that term) just happen. I'd say that I don't see the point in discussing them, but I just spent a minute or two doing just that.

Liv Moe said...

With what I hope will be the last thing I feel compelled to say on the matter... over the years I have noticed that 9 times out of 10 the "microscene" or clique in question often gets misidentified by the individual who feels left out. There is always this perception that such a group will be too exclusive or snobby to talk to someone new. It's been my experience anyway that this is not usually the case. Although, I suppose investigation involves approaching strangers which is not always the easiest thing in the world.