Monday, July 21, 2008

Divine inspiration


So I actually wrote this Monday and have been too busy to post...

The ol' man and I were invited to an impromptu BBQ last night and I went all out. In a fit of inspiration ignited by all of the wonderful stuff for sale at the farmer's market right now and because of a gang of rotting stone fruit I had laying around I busted out some serious eats. In one hours time I made a delicious peach plum crisp - sans recipe, although really crisps are so easy I guess a recipe isn't completely necessary - and a yummy roasted veggie pasta salad also sans recipe. This plus a bottle of two-buck and some fresh fish and we were ready to hit it.

At the BBQ we were greeted by an out of town friend - hence the reason for the get together - plates of fresh fruit and veggies drenched in balsamic vinegar, steak, and tasty, tasty, chicken. Everything came together into the most delicious pot luck/BBQ/dinner party ever.

Roasted Veggie Pasta Salad

1 small eggplant
1 large summer squash of your choice
2 tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped olives
1/2 cup feta crumbled
1 torpedo onion thinly sliced
Juice of one lemon
1/4 olive oil
Handful of torn basil
2 cups of "screw pasta" dry
Salt/Pepper

Let's start with my dirty little secret... I love me a George Forman grill. Can not get enough. The ol' man got me one for Christmas a year and a half ago and I use the shit out of it. Sometimes you're in a hurry and you don't wanna waste coals on a couple of measly vegetables. Anyhoo, slice the eggplant and squash in large flat pieces, toss with o.o. and grill. While the veggies are cooking slice onions, chop tomatoes, and start your water a boiling. When the veggies are done cooking chop and toss with tomatoes, onions, lemon, oil, olives, and basil. Add pasta and cheese and boom! The best part about this is that you can swap out the veggies with pretty much anything on offer at the market, carrots, peppers, mushrooms, etc. If you wanna get crazy grill the onion along with the veggies before slicing... tasty.


Peach Plum Crisp

1/2 basket squishy plums
1/2 basket squishy peaches
1/2 cup brown sugar plus 2 tblsp
1/2 cup unbleached flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts or almonds
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup or so butter chilled and chopped
1 teasp cornstarch
Liberal shake of cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400. Slice peaches and plums and put in a small deep baking dish then toss with 2 tblsp brown sugar, cornstarch, and a-shake-a-shake the cinnamon. Mix the flour, the rest of the sugar, the oats and the nuts in a bowl. Chop with a pastry cutter or two forks until it looks like little peas. Spoon the mixture on top of the fruit and bake for 25 minutes or until the fruit bubbles and the top it nice and brown.

I made the crisp first and by the time it was done my salad was done and it was time to hit the road. I wish I could plan everything that well...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do not, for one second, feel guilty about your love for the Foreman. Have you heard or read the Kitchen Sisters' piece on the these grills? It's a tear jerker, for sure.

Dani