Monday, April 28, 2008

Thanks Cheri!



I didn't write the titles of these down before I split but the above work is by local artist Casey O'Connor

A ray of hope! Yesterday I went by BLOCK Downtown art with the intention of staying for 15min and ended up hanging out for three hours that went by so fast I don't know where the time went. Cheri and I ended up talking about art both local and international along with a handful of other subjects and the time literally flew by. The show that was up last month at BLOCK was outstanding and the same artists will be mounting a follow up show to this one in May called Judy. I'm really looking forward to it. Best of all Cheri's commitment to the space is paying off. In the beginning she was really just interested in opening a gallery committed to showing contemporary work in Sacramento without getting caught up in the commercial machine that attacks most art spaces. Each month her attendance grows and this last past month the work has begun to sell!!!! I really look at this as a ray of hope! I've been complaining for so long about what I feel is lacking in our local art scene but in the back of my mind I've had this nagging concern that I'm one of a very few people who feels this way. The success of BLOCK is quite encouraging. And so with that I would like to send a big thank you to Cheri for taking a chance on Sacramento!!!!!

No comments: