Sunday, April 6, 2008

Shock and Awe



Sometimes finishing a project can bring an overwhelming feeling of relief and accomplishment the minute it's done. Other times a big project can end with a numb sense of bewilderment and disbelief. Right now I am experiencing the latter. For the past 7 months or so I have eaten, drunk, and slept this thing. It's absolutely all I've filled my blank moments with. Now that it's over it's like wow, okay, what do I do now? I certainly feel a sense of accomplishment but I think it will take a day or two to sink in.

Composing and mounting a solo show is sort of an odd thing. It's very forest for the trees in that after a while you can't really look at anything objectively anymore, especially once the installing begins. On Saturday after I tossed and turned most of the night due to overtiredness and general woundedness I awoke and arrived at the gallery a little foggy. My friend TH agreed to act as one of my trusty studio assistants that morning and together we hung my photographs. About an hour after we'd finished OMF arrived and asked why we hung them so comedically low. While I knew that they weren't the standard 60in on center I hadn't noticed that they were all that off seeing as neither me nor T are particularly tall ladies. Once they were hung correctly I realized our error. In general the past few days have gone along that way. We moved the walls and seamed them, patched in new electricity, and in the end I probably mopped the floor three times and it still looks a little poor. Overall though I'd have to say I'm pretty pleased.

In the meantime the obligations I've been putting off for the past few days and weeks are settling on me. There's the Lucy Puls lecture I'm organizing on campus in a couple weeks - Wed April 23rd, 7pm, Mariposa 1001 - which anyone and everyone in town who loves art needs to be at. There's also backing up everything on my abused laptop before it takes a powder. Cleaning my studio which I can sorta get around in now that the work is temporarily out of there. etc, etc, etc. snooze, snooze, snooze. What's more interesting than reading someone else's to-do list?

In closing here are the haps again to be sure we're clear:

I Have So Much to Tell You
April 7th - 18th
Receptions
Thursday April 10th and Thursday April 17th 6-9pm

No comments: