Thursday, March 13, 2008

rips and shred

Doug Biggert's talk last night was great! Though it was clear that he's not the most seasoned lecturer I enjoyed his casual manner far more than the rehearsed presentations I usually go to. I feel uncomfortable making an observation on Doug's "work" - during the talk he seemed amused by the term in reference to himself - because he clearly has a very informal, non-self conscious opinion of what he does. I will say though that after hearing him speak last night and then heading over to his apartment later in the evening it's clear that Doug personifies a sort of pure notion of what an artist is. Someone who just does what they do, not because they're necessarily trained to do it, or planned it, or anything other than just wanting to do what interests them everyday. That sort of thinking and practice exists on a whole different level. In the case of someone like Doug what he does is very specifically who he is and I think that's fascinating.

He also made a comment during the talk that super resonated with me perhaps just because of what I'm currently working on at the moment but the notion of capturing an image of someone you have a momentary interaction with because there's the chance they'll be gone from your consciousness forever otherwise. I was listening to Living on Earth the other night and this author was talking about the fact that humans are the only species that live with an intellectual understanding of their impending death. It's an interesting concept when you think about it. So many people I know who make work do it on some level to stand as a sort of document that someone or something existed. I really look at what they do differently now because of this whole mortality concept and I wonder how we would perceive and make art if we didn't have this awareness.

On a lighter note... The Mayyors ripped and shredded at the Ganglians house last night. So awesome!!! They weren't as blisteringly loud either although Woodhouse assured me that this was an anomaly that will have to be corrected.

This isn't the best footage ever but it's sorta okay. I shot it because I thought Mark floppin' around like a fish was funny, although you can't really see him.

Afterwards as I'm loitering around the front yard comfortably tipsy this woman came up to me and said "hey, you taught me perspective last week in Art 1b." Excellent.

At the end of the evening I drunkenly took pictures of Doug Biggert's front door until the batteries in my camera died.

All in all in a pretty great night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! It makes me so happy to see that footage. I was bummed I missed the show.

I love this post. It reminds me that the work my grandmother has done her whole life, is really about leaving behind her thoughts about the fragility of life. She's always been concerned that we will forget the importance of things when they are gone - eg. her photography of the Yanamamo and the book she's about to publish about endangered animals. It's pretty wonderful that at 94, she's still so devoted to this. - Dani

Liv Moe said...

your grandma sounds so seriously awesome! i hope i live to 94 and am still sharp as a knife and productive as hell.