Monday, January 7, 2008

May I remind you that there is a war going on?



"We're really strangers in our country... oh well, excuse me, I don't think "our" should be used anymore. I'm not sure whose country it is, but it's not mine for sure. "- Aunt Najma, Iraqi blogger

The other day I read an article by of all people Stephen King about what he has identified as the monster that is eating our media referring to Britney Spears, and Paris Hilton. Reading it got me to thinking about the fact that we are in the midst of a war but really on an average day how much do you notice it? We're not rationing. No one is buying war bonds. There aren't images of the devastation in Iraq visible in every media outlet. Hell we aren't even really seeing caskets of our own coming home. Instead, I know that Spears recently held her children hostage in a bathroom and was then declared 5150, held for a few days, and sent home after a visit from Dr. Phil while Hilton is apparently getting cut-off from the family fortune.

Anyhoo, I saw this link this morning to some Iraqi blogs that I found really interesting. Perhaps others will too. While I know I'm idealistic, I have a hard time believing that as a nation we are so intellectually or morally deficient as to need the volume of vacuous information that we are bombarded with on any given day. Although, I could be wrong I suppose...

2 comments:

Jeff M. said...

I think we ignore Iraq because we're occupying it, not at war with it.

Occupations are slow and boring. There are no decisive battles to be won or lost. There is nothing to film.

Another reason: the death toll on our side is relatively small. We don't know anybody who has died. The conflict seems abstract.

Liv Moe said...

hmmm, i suppose you are right. it is technically an occupation although that's really semantics.

whether it is either, the point remains that as a culture our craving for information tends more toward the sensational and inane as opposed to real news.

while, the death toll compared to other conflicts is relatively small the precedents this administration has set in regards to this conflict are anything but - torture, private contractors, etc, etc.