Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Still Life with Chair

Chris Daubert dropped by my studio last night and provided me with some valuable insights into the work I am currently making. He also told me to look up the work of Richard Artschwager, which I dutifully did this morning and as a result was led to this awesome design site that has a whole page devoted to the chronology of chair works. So cool!


The list of 40 or so artists begins with Duchamp... duh...


then moves on to folks like Daniel Spoeri who if you're not familiar with is truly worth checking out...


and Mr. Artschwager who led me to this goldmine in the first place...


and lastly one of my particular favs. This piece by Doris Salcedo seems highly inspired by Christo's early oil drum work. I wonder if she was aware of it before creating this?

2 comments:

beckler said...

and there's that one british (lady)artist who casts negative space who had an under the chair space i think. no big deal. i think i read that she's copying someone else who already worked with negative space ideas. i think i saw her stuff in d.c.

Liv Moe said...

as much as i love rachel whiteread it is true that she did do a pretty major rif on nauman's chair work. both he and whiteread are featured on the chair work site although they feature a different piece for nauman so if you don't already know than it would seem that whiteread was the only one who pulled the negative space chair thing off.