Saturday, November 24, 2007

Perfect potatoes


I've found the secret to the perfect fried potato. Actually, I've been slowly working to master all potatoes but in the mean time I now have roasting, mashing and frying nailed. In the past I could never get them cooked to a perfect crispness on the outside without burning them. As a solution I would boil them first but then they would kinda deteriorate in the frying process becoming starchy and oily and bland. Anyhoo, all of that is behind me and so I give you this:

Garlic potatoes

2 cloves of garlic unpeeled

2 - 3 T Olive oil

enough potatoes to cover the bottom of a well seasoned cast iron skillet cut into 1 inch cubes

salt

Heat oil on high and toss in the unpeeled garlic and move it around for a minute or two. Once the oil is slightly infused add the potatoes and salt to taste sauteing for 15 minutes tossing constantly so they don't burn. Put the lid on and reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes checking and tossing occasionally. Add pepper if you wish and serve.

When the potatoes are done the garlic gets all soft and roasted like. I have often thought that I should add a few extra cloves and use them to spread on my toast. This recipe would be fantastic with a rich cheesy French omelet and a glass of red table wine.

A meal to make Rose Maddox swoon...

No comments: